Parents of teens slowly learn to give their teens independence and more responsibility with their studies, decisions and friends. However, dental care is the one area where the parent needs to stay in control and in communication with their teens in order to maintain healthy and beautiful smiles.
There are treatments which are not available until a child enters their teen years and have attained adult physical development.
- If interceptive orthodontics were not completed, orthodontic treatment may be needed.
- Night guards can be helpful if a teen is gnashing teeth at night or is under severe stress.
- Sports activities become more frequent and physical, making mouth guards more vital.
- Cosmetic dentistry and bleaching may be requested by the teen.
- Wisdom teeth may become impacted in teen years and require extraction.